Nowadays it is not at all strange to hear a father or a mother complaining that their child is unable to sleep alone . In fact, more and more families have this problem that, if treated in the right way , can be solved in a short period of time.
Ultimately, the important thing at this point is to understand what are the reasons that may cause the little one to need to sleep with someone and, in turn, what mistakes are made so that this situation occurs on a daily basis. As a general rule, children often justify their need to sleep with their parents by problems such as fear or loneliness, although what usually happens is that they get used to something and then do not want to stop doing it . Therefore, sometimes the real reason is for personal pleasure.
Be that as it may, it is evident that a greater percentage of parents are responsible for causing this situation and even taking it as a habit since they tend to make some mistakes, among which the following stand out:
- Do not create a routine: It is good for parents from a very young age to forge a sleep routine with their children. This will avoid problems not only with sleeping accompanied but also when it comes to falling asleep . Therefore, it is recommended that they go to bed at the same time; Create a goodbye habit, such as reading a story to them, etc. In conclusion, make the child enjoy this routine and assume it without question.
- Sleeping them in your arms: This is undoubtedly another of the most common mistakes. Although it is true that sometimes parents get carried away by the love they have for their little ones and allow them to fall asleep on top of them. This, although a priori does not seem negative, can end up having consequences such as the child no longer wanting to sleep in a crib or alone. Therefore, you have to be cautious
- Show weakness: Sometimes children cry, yell, or get angry about not wanting to go to sleep alone. It is at that moment when parents should not waver. In other words, you have to be firm with the decision and the little one has to see it in order to realize that there is no possible negotiation. Only then will he understand that he must learn to sleep without the company of his parents.
- Losing your nerves: If there is something that can play tricks, it is the nerves and tensions of the moment . Parents must learn to channel the situation and not lose their roles at any time since that is not an example for their children who, seeing them like this, may rebel in the same way.
Keys for children to sleep alone
Once the most common mistakes that are usually made with children in this situation are known, we must go on to see some keys or tips that will allow parents to get their children to sleep alone in the fastest and easiest way possible.
- Create a good environment: It is important to prepare the situation for the child to go to sleep alone in advance. To do this, it is recommended to allow digestion time between dinner and go to bed and in turn, spend that time with them doing so that they are more than satisfied with the company of their parents and do not continue to complain about them later.
- Start early: Although when children are babies it is more difficult to let them sleep alone if they complain to their parents , do not falter. This will benefit anyone in the long run as it will make the habit of going to sleep alone clearly defined and problems will not arise later in life . Furthermore, it is evident that the older they learn, the more difficult it is for them to do so.
- Fire them: Accompanying them to bed, putting on their pajamas or reading them a story are actions that make it easier for children to accept going to sleep alone since they feel accompanied in the process. In addition, this allows to strengthen the ties between parents and child and that communication is much more favorable.
- Make use of objects: If fear is the child’s main problem for not sleeping, there are only some solutions that will allow him to gradually overcome it. Leaving a light on, sleeping with a stuffed animal or a photograph, throwing a night blanket over it … Be that as it may, parents can gradually make children face their fears and get to sleep alone. Once they are less afraid and are more mature in this sense, parents should force them to get rid of these objects so as not to create a need for them in the future when they are older.
- Do not leave their bed: Sometimes, the little ones wake up in the middle of the night and go to the parents’ room crying and asking to sleep with each other. In this situation, letting them in is a mistake. They should not get used to it and therefore, it is advisable for the father or mother to accompany him to his bed again and get him to sleep and understand that there is nothing that threatens him or gives him reason to be afraid.
- Trust the little one: Attitude is essential in this type of situation and therefore, children should notice trust on the part of their parents . In other words, the attitude of knowing that the little one will achieve it is key.
Finally, it should be said that each child is a world and that what may be true for some children for others is useless. For this reason, it will be the parents who, knowing their children, must take the measures they consider to reach the same result. In case of not achieving the objectives, it is recommended to go to a specialist who can, together with the parents, help to find solutions to the problem in a much more exhaustive way . Ultimately, sooner or later, this problem will have a solution.