Self-esteem is the feeling of appreciation or rejection that accompanies a general analysis that we do of ourselves . This image that we are building is something personal since it is what we think and it does not have to be an
absolute truth, since many times we ourselves distort reality , both for better and for worse.
In this process of reconstruction of an opinion of oneself, different factors intervene that in their entirety form the so-called self-esteem , and that unfortunately sometimes can be damaged, although that is not a problem since it has a solution and with the appropriate techniques you will be able to regain your confidence much sooner than you think. However, you can always go to a specialist , such as psychologists to give you some kind of guideline and see the true origin of the problem you have. These are the main factors involved:
- The image we project to others, based on how we behave and how we treat people.
- The objectives met or personal achievements, whether academic or social.
- The integration we do when we meet people, such as at school, at home, with a group of friends, etc.
- The material things that we obtain and the money that we earn (in the case of working).
The children and adolescents are a vulnerable group low suffering self – esteem, therefore, need to strengthen their day with positive thoughts and helping to improve every day every aspect to perform , because if it is not a problem that can drag up the adult life where it’s more complicated deal with the issue because we become more stubborn.
What is the mirror technique?
This technique serves to reinforce self-esteem based on personal observation of oneself in front of a mirror . It may seem strange but the truth is that very good results are obtained when this kind of individual therapy is finished . It is a great way to reinforce the positive things about yourself. At first, the things we see may not be the ones that we like the most, but with the passage of time, thanks to the mirror technique, everything will change for the better, and those negative thoughts that only damage self-esteem will become positive . This exercise will last about 5 minutes and you will only need: a notebook, a pen, a mirror and a lot of sincerity.
The first phase consists of some simple questions that you should ask yourself and they will be (without being in front of the mirror):
- When you look in the mirror, do you look attractive?
- Do you think you have good things to contribute to others? Which are?
- Do you think your friends, family and co-workers like you just the way you are with your personality?
- What would you change about your physique? And why not?When you feel and look good, do you feel more confident in all aspects?
Once the information with the previous questions has been collected, the second phase will begin and for this you must stand in front of a mirror and answer the following questions:
- What is the person who looks at you from the mirror like?
- Do you know him?
- What good things does that person have?
- What bad things does someone who looks at you in the mirror have?
- What do you like the most about that person?Would you change something about the person in the mirror
Now, the notebook and the pen will be used to write down the answers (this is optional) but if it is true that if you follow this control, the results will be much better . This phase is intended to reinforce the qualities of oneself because surely there are many aspects that are positive and they are what have shaped the person you are today. In addition, you can help a friend or family member to exchange information and increase self-esteem since it is not the same as how we see ourselves as how others see us.
This exercise should be done for a few weeks , the ideal is 21 days, since it is how long it takes the brain to adapt new habits . In this way, once you get used to it, everything will be seen from another perspective that is much more constructive and positive for yourself.
Put aside all the negative
In addition to performing this productive task to improve the internal perception of mixed feelings, it is necessary to get rid of everything that causes anxiety and negativity in your life in order to further reinforce this fabulous technique . It is a way to undertake a journey of individual self – knowledge that will only take you on good paths in all areas of life since the mirror technique facilitates that self-recognition of your own qualities that build a better self-confidence as well as security.