Like when you discover that you no longer enjoy that dessert that you liked so much because you’ve been eating it all week. The hedonic adaptation is a fact of life, but when we are aware of how it works in life, we are more capable of solving the negative aspects and participate in activities likely to hedonic adaptation, but can enjoy them!
The following are some ways that you can get away from the limiting effects of hedonic adaptation and engage in activities that actually create a higher level of happiness in your life. From now on, the hedonic adaptation will have passed away because you will be able to enjoy without being limited by that adaptation to pleasure . Do not lose detail!
Beat hedonic adaptation with these 6 tips
- Make sure your life has various pleasures. Try planning these pleasures throughout your day. You can start with a good breakfast, then talk to a good friend … If you think you don’t have time for these pleasures, organize your time to include them. You can get!
- Make your pleasures always feel new. Just like you like to have fresh sheets to sleep in each week, if you rotate your pleasures they will make them feel more pleasant each time, instead of having the same pleasures every day. When you feel that a pleasure that you considered good bores you, then it is time to change .
- Have time for your interests. If you can make time to indulge in an interest that you like even once a week, this is a good way to enjoy the perks. Share what you enjoy with others and you will feel better when you take the time. Deepen your skills and you will grow internally. It doesn’t matter what your interest is as long as you enjoy it.
- Find time for others. This will give your life meaning and will give you happiness. Just as the rewards will help you cope with the hedonic adaptation, this will also help you increase your well-being . Find time to be with those who bring you emotional well-being.
- Savor your positive experiences. This is a great way to enjoy life more, to maximize the positive in your life, without having to change anything else. It only requires a little attention as the effects of pleasures, gratifications and meaningful activities can expand. One way to savor these experiences is to keep a gratitude journal at the end of the day, a few days a week; Write about three things you enjoyed that day and keep an attitude of gratitude. Later, you can relive these positive experiences when you write about them, and you can relive them again when you read them.
- Monitor your happiness levels . If you feel that you could be happier, you should take time to do what you can do to improve your mood. If you are a naturally happy person, this can help you feel even happier than you already are. If you are a naturally sad or challenging person, this extra attention to minimizing hedonic adjustment can help you live a more fulfilling life.
The hedonic adaptation will always be present in your life and you will have to be aware so that it does not take over you and rob you of the happiness and pleasures that you could enjoy. You must be aware that with these strategies you can adjust your happiness and increase it every day, taking into account your pleasures and the interests that motivate you. Rewards need to be a part of your everyday life for them to become meaningful. It is as easy as knowing when you can enjoy a pleasure or an activity that transmits a good state to you and entering the state of flow as many times as you can.
Your life will change forever!