Knowing how to make good decisions, like what to wear to a job interview or how to invest your money, could be the key to living your best life. Being able to make those decisions in a timely manner and feeling confident in your decision-making abilities could save you a lot of time and hassle.

Fortunately, everyone can take steps to become better decision makers. If you want to become a better decision maker, incorporate these habits into your life, you will not regret it!

Beware of overconfidence

If you are overconfident, your decisions may sometimes be wrong. People who tend to overestimate their performance, as well as the accuracy of their knowledge … and this will cause them to make poor decisions.

It is especially important to consider your level of confidence in terms of time management.  Most people overestimate how much they can accomplish in a certain period of time. Do you think it will only take you an hour to finish the report? Do you predict that you will be able to pay your bills in 30 minutes? You may find that you are overconfident in your predictions.

Take time each day to estimate how likely you are to be successful.  Then at the end of the day, review these estimates. Were you as accurate as you thought? Good decision makers recognize areas in their lives where overconfidence could be a problem. Then they adjust their thinking and behavior accordingly … are you ready to do this?

Identify the risks you take

Familiarity breeds comfort. There is a good chance that you will make poor decisions simply because you have become used to your habits and do not think about the danger you are in or the damage you are causing. For example, you can start driving a little faster each day to get to work on time even if you leave home later. Maybe if you are not fined you feel comfortable doing this and also if you do not have accidents, but as you engage in this reckless behavior, you are increasing the chances that you will be fined and that you have safety problems.

Another example is eating junk food every day. If you don’t have any immediate signs of poor health, you may not see it as a problem. But over time, you can gain weight or experience other health problems as a result.

Identify your daily habits that have become commonplace. These are things that require little thought on your part because they are automatic. Then take some time to evaluate which decisions may be harmful or unhealthy and create a plan to develop healthier daily habits.

Think about your problems differently

How you pose a question or problem plays an important role in how you respond and how you perceive your chances of success.

Imagine two surgeons. A surgeon tells his patients: “90% of the people who have this procedure live . ” The other surgeon says, “10% of people who have this procedure die.” The facts are the same. But research shows that people who hear that “10% of people die” perceive that their risk is much higher.

So when faced with a decision, think about it in a different way. Take a minute to think about whether the slight change in wording affects the way you see the problem … use positive thinking!

Have time to reflect on your mistakes

Maybe you’ve left home without an umbrella and got soaked on the way to work, or maybe you’ve run out of budget in a month because you’ve had an impulsive purchase. Whatever mistakes you have made, it is important that you reflect on your mistakes to learn from them and that they do not happen again in the future.

Make it a daily habit to review the decisions you have made throughout the day. When your decisions don’t go well, you must ask yourself what went wrong. Look for the lessons to be learned from every mistake you make. Do not insist on your mistakes for a long time, repeating them is not good for your mental health. Keep a sensible time of reflection: maybe 10 minutes a day is enough to help you think about what you can do better tomorrow. 

Elle Mcdonald

I am Elle Mcdonald Specializations in Psychology . Graduated in psychology from the University of Tennessee in 2000. Diploma of Advanced Studies in the Department of Personality, Evaluation and psychological treatments with excellent results.

First Level of Master in Clinical Psychology at the Center for Behavioral Therapists (recognized with a scientific-professional nature by the College of Psychologists)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *